Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Jump off the Bandwagon

First off, I'd like to welcome everyon to "The Big Red Citgo Sign." Here you will find Nick and myself (Steve) bitching and moaning about Boston sports because well, that's what us Bostonians do. We bitch about sports. Once again thank you and here is my first rant.

I Hate Bandwagon Fans. I've grown up in the same Massachusetts town my entire life, but now I currently go to college in Philadelphia. As I noticed during the playoffs and I continue to notice now, is that there are a million people walking around with Redsox hats. As a dumb Freshman, I just assume that they are from New England. So I go over and I say: "Hey, you from Boston?" Every single response is "No, I just like the hat." If I hear that again I am going to strangle someone. These people do not deserve to wear that hat. They didn't earn it.

Being a member of Redsox Nation is not like being a member of a local gym. With gyms, you can change when your membership expires. Maybe a different gym has newer, nicer facilities so you decide to change gyms. This is not true with the Redsox. You cannot just jump onto our bandwagon just because they were in the playoffs or won a World Series. RSN(Redsox Nation) is a way of life. You cannot fully appreciate the Redsox if you didn't grow up a Sox fan...its impossible. Yeah you might be able to go out and buy a nice cap or a World Series Champs t-shirt, but you don't grasp what the Sox mean to us.

I can never consider these type of people a brother of mine. They don't know what it's like to stand in the freezing cold for tickets at 4 am on a March morning just so you can see the Sox play the Devil Rays. They don't know what it's like to live and die with every pitch on a Thursday night game in May. They sure as hell don't know who actually was the first owner of the Redsox (The Taylor Family for all you morons). They didn't cringe when outsiders referred to the "Curse of the Bambino." I'm sure most of these bandwagon people didn't even know that Troy O'Leary was the first Redsox player to hit a grandslam in a playoff game. They sure as hell don't have a Grandfather whose only wish was to see the Sox win a Series, or have father whose favorite connection to his son is talking about the Red Sox. They sure as hell we're not parked on the side of a highway crying when Aaron Boone homered off of Tim Wakefield in 2003. And I know there is noway that they shed tears when Foulkes toss to Doug Mientkiewicz clinched the first World Series title in 86 years. I'm sure that Red Sox highlights from the 2004 playoffs do not send goosebumps down their spine and tears build up in their eyes. They do not know what its like and never will.

So if you didn't catch my drift let me spell it out for you. If your not from New England, not a member of RSN from birth, don't wear Red Sox anything or I will punch you in the face. You never earned that hat or shirt and can never understand what we went through.


-S-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home